Monday, July 30, 2012

No rest and no energy makes Kathleen a grumpy face...

The last week has been crazy!

I got to see my precious nieces and nephew on Tuesday when I went with my mother to drop my nephew off (he spent a few days at my mom's). They are precious little ones. However, that was my last day off. 

The downside to working retail is that sometimes I have a really crummy schedule. I didn't realize that I would be working seven days in a row--our schedules came out Friday, after I had gone to the late showing of Batman with my boyfriend. We had been putting it off and rescheduling and we both really wanted to see it so we elected to go to a late showing, which meant I didn't get home until very very late. I have been paying for that one!! 

When I don't rest, when I don't take care of myself, I get really grumpy. Okay so maybe "really grumpy" is an understatement. Things that I can normally deal with in a positive manner are suddenly the most irritating things under the sun. I'm short with people. I'm not kind. And I expect other people to take care of me, (I'm the youngest child so I'm guessing that's where it comes from) and when I'm not being taken care of I blame other people. I take it out on others. That's not very fair now is it?

Self-care is part of self-love. How can I love my neighbor as myself if I don't love myself? Take care of myself? Jesus often retreated by himself to pray, and I can only interpret that as Our Lord needing some time to himself to rest. Being the Son of God seems like a pretty exhausting job. Counter Manager at a department store might also involve a lot of time on my feet and dealing with the public but I'm not healing the sick and preparing myself for betrayal and sacrifice. (I hope...) Either way, it is important to find time to take care of myself so that I can be who I am called to be. 

Tuesday and Wednesday are my days off this week, so I am hoping for time to rest and get some things done around the house. I have been putting off so much due to lack of time and energy, so I am looking forward to having some time to devote to those things. I have a very exciting project I'm working on with some friends but I haven't been able to devote any time to it. Deep breath. One more day on the clock and then I'm out!

Grace & Peace
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment